Umatilla Electric Cooperative in Hermiston Oregon has an Internship opportunity for a Distribution Engineer Intern. This role will assist in providing cost-effective engineering for electric system construction and maintenance under the direct supervision of the Department Manager or Distribution Engineer. The position offers a college student who has completed their first year of undergraduate studies in an engineering field a basic working knowledge of the UEC substations, transmission, and distribution systems, including equipment specifications and operating principles. The position may assist in the drafting of technical studies, and reports.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES may include other duties as assigned.
- Assists with activities associated with creating a construction, system improvement, or maintenance work order package as assigned.
- Participates in activities to ensure electrical protection of the UEC electric system by reviewing technical studies such as coordination, sectionalizing, voltage, and fault studies; and assists in the ongoing improvements projects.
- Reviews recommendations for proposed designs of new electric plant or improvements to existing electric plant substations, transmission or distribution lines.
- Assists with and reviews engineering report computations, cost estimates, specifications or other engineering details as requested.
- Assists department personnel and project managers in construction/maintenance projects as requested. Works, as requested with consultants and contractors, facilitating projects by taking notes, obtaining information, researching alternatives and communicating clear instructions and direction between all parties.
- Works closely with other departments as needed to gain a deeper understanding of company procedures and work processes department initiatives.
- Displays excellent communication skills include presentation, persuasion and negotiation skills as required in working with members, customers, or coworkers and including the ability to communicate effectively and remain calm and courteous under pressure.
- Assists in the preparation of technical specifications; identification of material needs and issues procurement instructions as directed for routine projects. Reviews and prepares recommendations for new materials/equipment specifications.
Education: Enrolled in a degreed program from a four-year college or university in Electrical Engineering or related engineering field in the most recent previous school term.
Experience: Completion of their first year of engineering study in a qualifying engineering program is desired.
Umatilla Electric Cooperative (UEC) is a rapidly growing member-owned electric cooperative located in eastern Oregon minutes from the Columbia River. Our customer loads include residential, irrigation, commercial and industrial – from agribusiness to data centers. UEC operates more than 120 miles of 115 kV transmission line and more than 1,900 miles of 12.47 kV distribution line with substations and switching stations. Hermiston is a thriving city of 18,000 residents, known for trophy hunting and fishing, its proximity to wine country, and its farming, food processing and energy development economy. Learn more at www.umatillaelectric.com.