Umatilla Electric Cooperative (UEC) is a progressive electric utility cooperative located in northeastern Oregon along the beautiful Columbia River, offering a wide variety of activities year round. UEC is experiencing rapid growth in the commercial and industrial area and has a challenging position for the right candidate. UEC is seeking a full-time Journeyman Line worker to be located at the utility office in Hermiston Oregon.
This position operates all line equipment used in construction, maintenance and removal of overhead and underground power lines. Performs substation maintenance, construction and switching in substations for both distribution and transmission voltages. Repairs and replaces overhead transmission and distribution power lines and associated equipment. De-energizes and ground power lines and equipment to permit safe working conditions. Repairs and trouble shoots underground lines and equipment. Climbs poles and uses a bucket which is attached to truck mounted booms and cranes. Performs work in a safe manner in conformance with all applicable regulations.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE AND NOT LIMITED TO:
- Climbs and works on power poles, towers and steel structures.
- Drives digger derricks, aerial bucket trucks, cranes, pull trailers and operates various line equipment such as pullers, tensioners, excavation equipment, and other trailer mounted equipment.
- Trouble shoots AMI meters and TWAC’s substation equipment such as SCE, OMU and meter modules.
- Determines and locates cause of power interruptions.
- Trains and supervises workers in repair of power-lines.
- Makes use of hands and fingers to work with tools.
- Uses safety equipment, such as hot-sticks and cover-ups needed to safely work on or near energized conductors and associated electrical equipment.
- Visits installations sites and inspects installed meters and other electrical appliances for conformance to specifications and safety standards.
- Performs substation maintenance, construction and switching in substations for both distribution and transmission voltages.
- May inspect completed installations for conformance with design and equipment specifications and safety standards.
- Constructs service drops or other secondary only facilities and accurately accounts for time and materials used or retired.
- Provides sufficient information to update mapping system and property records.
- Aids in the development of planning line extensions and changes, new construction, inspections and records to comply with policies and procedures.
Education: High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
Experience: Completion of an approved apprentice program for electrical utility journeyman linemen is required.
Computer Skills: Job requires specific computer skills. May be required to use various applications including database, spreadsheet, word processing, communicate by e-mail and use scheduling software. Must understand how to use software programs which may include outage management, power quality, AMI metering, CIS software and other various software programs for SCADA Controls.
Certificates and Licenses: This position requires completion of a Journeyman Lineman apprenticeship from an approved apprentice program, for electrical utility journeyman linemen. An Oregon Class “A” CDL License is required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Skills: Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, twist and turn, push and/or pull, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit and work in cramped or awkward positions. The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 35 pounds.
Posting closes when filled
Your application was submitted successfully.