Umatilla Electric Cooperative (UEC) is a progressive electric utility cooperative located in northeastern Oregon along the beautiful Columbia River, offering a wide variety of activities year round. UEC is experiencing rapid growth in the commercial and industrial area and has a challenging position for the right candidate. Offering a “four tens” work schedule, strong benefits, and generous retirement program this is a unique opportunity for a rewarding career with an exciting organization in the growing community of Hermiston Oregon.
As a Cooperative field representative, the Distribution Designer will, under the direction of the supervisor, be responsible for performing the design and staking of routine distribution line extensions and changes to the Cooperative distribution system in accordance with approved standard engineering practices, RUS and other state and federal regulations, and Cooperative procedures and policies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES may include other duties as assigned.
- Provides courteous, prompt and accurate design services that will create good will with the members, contractors/developers and the general public in all daily contacts. Ensure that members/customers receive and understand the UEC policy and procedures information regarding line extensions prior to beginning the design work.
- Maintains current knowledge of the UEC electric system and a thorough knowledge of the UEC approved distribution construction and equipment specifications.
- Prepares standard line extensions as assigned based on basic electrical theory and methodology used by UEC. Prepares, as further directed, distribution and transmission design recommendations for system improvement and system maintenance. Employee must be familiar with the application of distribution system devices such as over-current protection devices, surge arresters, voltage regulators and capacitors.
- Maintains current knowledge and proficiency of engineering computer programs as required to complete required functions of the job, both desktop and network applications, including file management and operations within the Windows operating system and preparing drawings, as requested, related to materials and equipment used in distribution system design.
JOB DUTIES may include other duties as assigned.
- Provides assistance in keeping engineering data bases such as map files and related records in an up-to-date manner as delegated by the Engineering Department Manager or Supervisor.
- Employee must be knowledgeable of basic electrical theory and the methodology used to correctly size transformers and service conductors for standard residential and small commercial loads and be familiar with the basic application of over-current protection devices, surge arresters, voltage regulators and capacitors.
- Maintains current knowledge, ensures personal compliance, and reports any observations of non-compliance with all policies and procedures relating to the National Electric Code, the National Electric Safety Code, and the UEC Safety Code.
- Prepares cost estimates to be invoiced that reflect the total cost of the work order and the calculated member's contribution in aid of construction that accurately reflect the line extension policy.
- Secures right-of-way easements and/or permits for standard line extensions. Maintains knowledge of easement law, land ownership rights, title, easement descriptions and the processes required to record easements and obtain permits from various governing agencies operating in the Cooperative’s service territory.
- Works collaboratively in a team environment with a spirit of cooperation.
- Displays excellent communication skills including presentation, persuasion, and negotiation skills required in work with members, customers, or coworkers, including the ability to communicate effectively and remain calm and courteous under pressure.
- Conducts themselves in a manner that reflects well on UEC and contributes to harmonious relations with members and the general public.
- Respectfully takes direction from supervisor.
Ability to perform essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to accurately utilize in-field staking tools, such as GPS and other survey equipment that may be required to produce electrical engineering designs
This position does not have any supervisory responsibilities.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Associate's degree in computer aided engineering/drafting or a related field from two-year college or technical school. Demonstrated competency of a comprehensive certification program mutually agreed to by the Cooperative and the Union may be substituted for an Associate Degree.
Three (3) years of electric distribution system design/drafting experience using computer-aided design technology. Additional education in a related field may substitute for experience.